This guide will show you how to fix outdated animations for some skins you may find or want to use.
Okay, some time ago a friend gave me this tutorial and we fixed some weird skins that didn’t work properly in-game. This wasn’t in the steam guides so I will leave it here for anyone who needs it. This is the original Source.
If you downloaded a skin or something and then you realize that it has bugs in its animations or it looks strange, it’s probably because it is an outdated skin and it won’t work very well in the 5.0 version of the game.
What we will do is fix this problem and update the animations of the skin. First, you need to download Sven-Coop SDK from the Steam Tools, then the Crowbar Tool and Compile-o-matic, which you can find here and here or in the source page above.
Fixing the animations
1. Create a copy of the “yourmodel” folder, rename it to your modelname and Decompile your pre-5.0 model with crowbar.exe into that folder (switch to “decompile tab, and navigate to that model) , check “format for stricter importers” UNCHECK “Bone animation SMD files”
*****HOWEVER Please check if your MDL has custom anims!!****** if the old playermodel does in fact has custom anims, don’t uncheck “bone animation SMD files”, Make a backup of the _ANIMATIONS folder and go through and find the custom ones and copy them over to the “_ANIMATIONS” subfolder and overwrite.
2. Open up the QC for your pre-5.0 model and copy the lines of code from the beginning of the file to the end of the $bodygroup lines and include $texrendermode if there are any. Make a duplicate of the “yourmodel.qc” file and rename it to your model.
3. Then open that QC and paste over the header lines for the model with the ones you copied to replace it. Change the modelname.
4. Switch to crowbar Compile tab and load that QC and compile with, set the output directory to the working folder of your model. When done checking the model with HLMV as before. If needed make a new portrait, or just keep the old portrait. Also if you lack a portrait the dimensions are 164X200 8bit indexed BMP that has to be the same name as your .mdl
As before when done move/copy your playermodel folder to svencoop_addons player folder.
Here you got some screenshots:
f you did all of that correctly, you should see the new and functional model or skin working fine for the latest version of Sven Co-Op.
I have recorded a couple of gifs showing the differences of an outdated model and another corrected one after following this guide.
1. Outdated model, (T-Pose)
2. Fixed model, (T-Pose)
3. Outdated model, (bugged animations)
4. Fixed model, (bugged animations)
So that’s it! Now you can rescue an old model, fix and use it without looking like a freak or something.